FRC provides a 24-hour emergency response system for victims of sexual and domestic violence. When requested, Advocates meet victims at hospitals in Bland, Carroll, Grayson, Smyth & Wythe counties and Galax city.
Specially trained in trauma-informed care, Advocates assist women, men, and children immediately following a crisis. Advocates provide emotional support, information, options, and follow-up services to victims and their loved ones, and remain with a victim for as long as needed.
If you have specific questions about seeking medical care after a sexual assault, please call our 24/7 hotline at 800.613.6145.
FRC does not provide legal advice.
The Family Resource Center provides justice-related assistance to individuals experiencing sexual violence, domestic violence, or stalking. Understanding the impact that violence has on individuals, the Legal Advocacy Program offers trauma-informed support to all victims as they navigate the criminal justice system.
As with other FRC Services, all assistance through the Legal Advocacy Program is free and confidential. Advocates are available during business hours to answer questions and provide information surrounding the court process, either in person or over the phone. Additionally, supportive accompaniment to legal proceedings is available. Wrap-around services during the process and following the conclusion of legal proceedings may include emergency shelter, counseling, or safety planning.
Navigating the legal system can be difficult and confusing for people who have experienced violence. Advocates are available to provide information and assistance in many areas related to the judicial process. Services include:
- Information and assistance related to protective orders
- Assistance in filing paperwork related to custody, visitation, or child support
- Assistance in filing paperwork for criminal warrants
- Accompaniment to interviews with law enforcement or to the Commonwealth’s Attorney
- Court preparation assistance
- Assistance in filing for Legal Aid Representation
- Assistance in completing paperwork for the Virginia Victims Fund
- Information and referral to other agencies and resources
To speak with a Legal Advocate, call our hotline at 1.800.613.6145
Additional Legal Resources